.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

prov·o·ca·tion - something that provokes, arouses, or stimulates. pant - to long eagerly; yearn. a collection of thoughts intended to provoke and inspire. these posts are hoping to encourage people to think, especially Christians, and pant even harder for the waterbrooks of the Lord. If you are not a believer in Christ Jesus, I welcome your perspective and encourage your investigation on these matters.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Mt. Zion, the Gospel, and Katrina

Yesterday, I received my quarterly issue of the Free Grace Broadcaster, a free publication provided by Mt. Zion Chapel Library. While I have enjoyed reading previous issues, this one is particularly helpful because the theme is “The Gospel” and has excerpts from the writings of Thomas Boston, J.I. Packer, Thomas Manton, J.C. Ryle, C.H. Spurgeon, and Jonathan Edwards (that’s quite the list, eh?). You can retrieve a PDF of previous issues also through their website. While I was a student at the University of Mobile, Mt. Zion was less than an hour away, and I always looked forward to making the trip to the end of north “T” street in the heart of Pensacola, Florida. It was there that I was first introduced to the Puritans, purchased the works of Jonathan Edwards, and received numerous free books from the generous folks who operated their printing press. In case you didn’t know, they have hundreds of tracts from Puritans, Spurgeon, Pink, Horatius and Andrew Bonar, etc. that are FREE. Furthermore, they had an audio library where tapes could be ordered for free so long as the agreement existed that you would pass the sermon tapes onto others as a ministry. Needless to say, I am greatly indebted to the good people of Mt. Zion, and the frequent trips to their metal green building was some of the greatest memories of my college experience. Mt. Zion has also been active in helping churches who suffered damage from Katrina. In the mailout yesterday, I noticed that one of the churches they sought to bring hurricane relief to was none other than Lakeshore Baptist Church, Lakeshore, Mississippi where Don Elbourne is pastor. Don is a fellow SBC blogger whom I had the privilege of meeting at the Band of Bloggers fellowship and T4G Conference. That letter served as a reminder of the daily reality of those in the Gulf Coast who are still rebuilding and in need of relief. While for many of us Katrina is common name with a faded memory, for Mt. Zion and those on the Gulf Coast, it is still a vivid reality and opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus. I share all this for two reasons. First, I want to recommend to you the Mt. Zion Chapel Library and all that they have to offer. Second, I want to put a little reminder in our lives during this season to think about and pray for those who are still facing the grim reality and after effects of Katrina. I am exceedingly grateful to God for what he has done through Mt. Zion books and literature ministry and praise God for what they continue to do in ministry to their community and local churches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counter
Site Counters as of May 4, 2005